Sunday, June 06, 2004

Jazz: The Music of Unemployment

Playing guitar in jazz is an art. It's something that very few players can do. It's more than just 7th chords, funny symbols, and accenting two and four--there's a different sort of mindset involved with it. But I can't expect someone who doesn't play or doesn't care for the specifics of music to understand or care. And thats...okay.

I love the dark, mellow sound of a hollowbody electric, with the tone knob rolled off to about 6, through an old tube amp. I feel different and a bit special when i have that setup in a guitar store or whatever. I don't feel superior, just unique i suppose.

Players that can play 10 zillion notes don't impress me anymore. They just don't, no matter how fast or how technically advanced. I couldn't really care less. I want to have the notes and the way theyre used make me feel something--and useless speed doesn't make me feel anything. There's power in subtlety-sometimes i just want to be able to peel back the layers and find something that is creative and makes me think about it.

I'm not trying to say music has to be complicated for me to like it..but i like to have something to really think about and be impressed by sometimes. Then again, other times i just want to hear good ol' dumb rock 'n roll.

2 Comments:

Blogger Quartny said...

And just because it isnt complicated doesnt mean that it is junk food music, either. There is a beauty in simplicity that affects me like no other.:)

Oh, and btw, i love the way you write. i love the way you think and the way you say things too.
and
ily

9:23 AM  
Blogger Randall J. said...

thanks a lot hon :)
check your email too..
ily
-randy

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home